Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Embroidery and the cultural cringe

I don't know if this happens in other small nations, but in New Zealand people occasionally suffer from "cultural cringe". This is what happens when you are so unaccustomed to seeing your own culture portrayed in whatever medium, that you...well...cringe.

Anyhoo, the other day when I was junk shopping, I came accross this lovely old table cloth. Instead of the usual "English" themes, like violets or daffodils or whatever, it had little New Zealand motifs stitched on it. Immediately I encountered a feeling that is the opposite of cultural cringe- "cultural pride", if you will.



There was this little kiwi...



A kereru (native wood pigeon)...



A kingfisher....



And kowhai flowers.

And now I feel like breaking into song

"Pokarekareana......"

And for those who are interested, I got to 1000. Sheesh!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I have to comment AGAIN!

    NZ sounds like one of the best places in the world. Birds are so brillo-freakin'-licious and other- worldly. I'm sure they know something we don't. They're like prehistoric aliens or something and I love them for being as weird and obscure as I feel I am.

    I can't believe you counted to
    100O. I cannot believe it.

    ReplyDelete