Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tomato relish in the dead of winter



I like making stuff. It tears my very soul out when I have to purchase jam or relish, so you can imagine my consternation when summer came and went without me getting around to making to making tomato relish. "Well Miss Smith" I thought to myself on Sunday "you will have to try making tomato relish with canned tomatoes." Strangely enough, this thought occurred to me after I saw a recipe for tomato chutney on the side of the can of tomatoes. I didn't fancy their recipe as I don't like it tooooooo sweet. So, I made it the way I like it, and do you know what? It's pretty delicious.
Tomato Relish with Canned tomatoes:
4 cans (400 g each can) tomatoes in juice
2 c brown sugar
2 c wine vinegar
4 onions
1 apple, peeled or not, however you like it
1 head of garlic
fresh ginger, about 5 cm, peeled
2 t curry powder
1 t cumin
1 t coriander
Salt to taste (1 T)

Peel the onions and garlic, place in a food processor with the ginger, apple, and half the vinegar and process until finely chopped. If you don't have a food processor just chop these ingredients up finely. Combine with all other ingredients and simmer until reduced and thick (90 minutes, approximately). Bottle and seal. Makes 5 x 500 g jars.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hey I do love the title of this post. It could be the title of a short story or part of the lyrics for a song. I feel something creatvie about to happen with those words. How bout stichin them as text onto a cushion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Miss Smith I believe you have outsmugged yourself with your relish! The only way it could be more smug is if you had say, got the tinned tomatoes on special, or made the preserving jars yourself out of some spare sand you had lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get ready for more smuggery. I did get the tomatoes on special, I got big 800 g tins of italian tomatoes for $1.20 each. The jars are recycled, but I SO wish I could say I crafted them with a hot iron, some sand and some elbow grease, then beat the lids from the very cans I got the tomatoes from! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete