Monday, June 16, 2008

The consequences of ignoring garden advice

"What ever you do" said my mother, who is an excellent gardener, "don't put mint straight into the main garden because it will spread everywhere". I knew better, and I secretly planted it in my garden, silently thinking how smug I would be at my lovely patch of nice freshy minty mint when my Mum next visited. But guess what?! It put its sneaky little rhizomes out in every friggin direction, up and down, out of my raised beds and through the whole garden. Oh I got mint alright, I got mint for friggin' Africa. Still, there are bright sides to ignoring my mother's advice: First, it is fun and rebellious to do things that people tell you not to do. Second, I have lots of mint to make my special mint vinaigrette that everyone asks for the recipe for (olive oil and lemon juice in a 2:1 ratio, salt, pepper, french dijon mustard, oh and mint of course, lots of it).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment